Sunday, June 26, 2011

Why the hell am I fat?

Why do most people automatically assume that we, Super Fatties, all became fat by eating too much greasy, fattening, unhealthy food?

I was reminded of my childhood the other day.  Yeah, I was always the chunky kid who couldn't figure out WHY I was so chubby.  I mean, I was extremely active and competitive.  I just HAD to be the best at every darn sport I was allowed to play.  I was really good at everything!  I played on the boys' football team, wrestling team, and baseball team.  I played for the girls' volleyball and basketball teams.  I was an avid swimmer and participated in diving competitions.  I had the nickname, "Fearless Freddy" on the ski slopes.  I took several years of tap, ballet, gymnastics, jazz, and freestyle dance.  I roller skated, skateboarded, kayaked, river rafted, fished, hiked (the Swiss Alps)...you name it.  I had fractured bones and torn tendons and I kept on going.  I even instructed an aerobics class for teens.  I had dozens of medals and trophies.  So, why the hell was I fat?

Well, one might like to think it was because I ate a ton of junk food, but that was NOT the case.  My father was a French chef (Oh, yeah, I can see your eye-roll).  Contrary to popular belief, I did NOT grow up eating a ton of fattening food.  My breakfast was pretty normal.  I'd usually have a bowl of cereal (not the sugary kind) with 2% milk or cottage cheese or PLAIN oatmeal and a piece of fruit.  Lunches were complicated.  While my friends had bologna or PBJ sandwiches and Twinkies, chips, etc, I usually had thin-sliced, garlic-roasted NY steak on baguette with Dijon mustard (NO mayo allowed in our house), a piece of fruit, and veggies.  Oh, how those lunches sucked!!! (Of course, I wouldn't think that way today)  I was always the kid who asked if anyone wanted to trade lunches.  Anyone?  Pleeeease!?  Pretty Pleeeease?  Alas, I didn't have many takers...and I think those few times were out of pity.  After all, I was the only kid who had a lunch bag that reeked of garlic!  Dinner was at 4PM (which also sucked).  It was the only time my dad had available to come home, prepare food, and eat with us as a family.  Dinners were fairly simple.  We always had a protein, a starch, and at least one vegetable.  My mom loves seafood, so we often ate shellfish.  My mom is also VERY health conscious, so my dad prepared almost everything with fresh herbs and garlic.  Dessert was almost always a salad with vinegar, olive oil, Dijon mustard, garlic, fresh herbs, and a stinky piece of cheese.  So, why the hell was I fat?

We were NEVER allowed to eat junk food.  We couldn't even dream of chips, soda pop, marshmallows, pancakes, hot dogs, etc, etc.  If we begged for a hamburger, my dad would put a piece of filet mignon through the meat-grinder, stuff it with Gruyere cheese and GARLIC (and sometimes mushrooms), and put it on a baguette.  *sigh*  That was our hamburger.  Pizza?  You don't want to know.  Birthdays?  Fresh fruit tart instead of cake!  Uuuggh!  I was finally allowed to have my first soda pop (in the house) when I was 14 years old.  I explained to mom that the new soda that just came out (Tab) was sugar free.  She caved.  Yipee!  So, why the hell was I fat?

Okay, I know why I'm fat NOW.  You see, because I wasn't allowed to eat ANY junk when I was a kid, I rebelled the minute I escaped to start my own family.  I wanted to taste everything and anything that was forbidden when I was growing up.  I became a junk food goddess!  Really, it wasn't so bad.  I was pregnant during that time, so I was constantly throwing up everything anyway.  I did manage to gain SOME weight though...and I learned to love a few foods I probably shouldn't have.  Then, I felt guilty.  I became a vegan for a while (I didn't lose weight).  My dad's lamb chops, smothered in garlic, brought me back to the other side.  I watched my weight...really.  I watched my weight go up and down.  It wasn't until I hit rock-bottom that I learned the WHY.  When I could no longer afford to eat anything but starches, my weight went out of control.  I've been in that situation for more than a decade now and I'm fatter than hell...really!  Like I said in a previous post, there was a five week period where I had extra money and was able to eliminate starches from my diet four days a week, for five weeks.  I ate like I did when I was a kid...minus the starches.  I lost FIFTY pounds!  Oh, well.  I'm back to eating what I can afford...starches.  At least now I know the WHY.  

So, back to the beginning of this post...I didn't get fat by eating too much greasy, fattening food.  Please don't assume to know how anyone became a Super Fatty...and I won't assume to know how some people became the assholes they are.        

4 comments:

  1. Can I add a little something?

    I too was the chunky kid who ate good, healthy food at home. Why were we chunky? Because healthy people come in many shapes and sizes. You were healthy, that's all that counts.

    I have been lucky to have always had the means to eat healthily. Yes, I too had to learn to NOT gorge on junk food once I got out of home, but I never went over the deep end. But I've never been slim either because, and I repeat, people come in all shapes and sizes.

    Today, I'm older (with a slower metabolism) and somewhat handicapped (arthritis is a family thing--even my yoga teacher cousin has it). I'm somewhat heavier than I was when I was married, but I'm not half bad considering what I'm up against.

    What I wish most for you is the income to eat a healthy, balanced diet. Once that's sorted out, you probably will lose weight (as you've done before), but unless you want to starve, you'll never be slim because...we come in all shapes and sizes.

    BTW, I think garlic is one of nature's perfect foods!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm fat becuse it's in my body's genetic makeup for me to be overweight. Yes, I can overcome my weight but I will ALWAYS struggle with it because of my genes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://threehundredpoundsofjoy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete