Sunday, June 19, 2011

What non-hippos don't know...

I came across this Q & A post the other day.  Mind you, I don't know the person(s) who posted the question or any of the answers.  I don't know the age or situation of the original poster, so some of these answers might work for that individual.  I simply want to address it because it's an easy way to help non-hippos understand that their answers are not always so simple for us hippos...and to remind ex-hippos just how far they've come.

Question:    I weigh 450 lbs and I'm 5'3".  How do I change this, but I don't want to exercise?

Answer 1:  No matter what, you have to exercise. You can start off with eating healthier diet and take small steps like taking the stairs instead of the elevator. Many people think they can just go on a diet and loose weight but that is not the case at all, no matter what you have to do some exercising. Drink a lot of water, it flushes out the fatts in your diet and clears any skin problems along with making you over all healthier.


My response:  True, you have to exercise...at least to some degree.  There's really no way around that.  Examples are good to use, but the example of taking the stairs instead of the elevator doesn't quite work for some of us older hippos.  Personally, I'd be in big trouble if I had to take the stairs.  Small steps for someone in my situation would be to get up and walk around their house or apartment.  A small step would be to try to stand for an extra few minutes at a time.  


Answer 2:  You are morbidly obese and could drop dead at any time. You need to be under a Dr's care. This is not a minor problem. Your life is in jeopardy.


My response:  Duh!  Ya think?  Okay, non-hippos, this is on our minds 24/7.  I just thought you might like to know that.


Answer 3:  change your eating habits.. eat more healthier... thats really all you can do. try a NO CARB diet for 2 weeks then for 2 weeks eat with portion control.. and rotate.. take walks if you really dont like to work out a lot! good luck!


My response:  Personally, I would eat healthier if I could.  Like I said in my last post, if I could afford it I would eat lean proteins, veggies, and only whole grains.  This was probably the best answer of all of them.


Answer 4:  go do the lap band thing or gastricbypas however you spell but you still need to excercise 
cut out sugars and drink only water
try eating no fried foods starches or bread


My response:  Why do most non-hippos always assume that we hippos eat and drink a ton of sugar and fried foods?  And why is the "simple" answer to go have surgery?  It's not like surgery will suddenly cause you to be thinner or cure a food addiction or make you eat more veggies.  Besides, some of us probably wouldn't survive surgery.   


Answer 5:  Start by not drinking soda, that will help A LOT. Drink a lot of water instead. Then slowly replace fatty foods that you would normally eat with less fattening foods. Don't give up anything for this but just try smaller portions and adding fruits or veggies to replace the other half if you are still hungry. 
If all else fails you can get gastric bypass that would definitely help and you wouldn't have to exercise :-)

My response:  Okay, again with the assumptions.  Personally, I don't drink anything with sugar in it except for my coffee (1 or 2 cups per day).  I drink two liters of water each and every day.  When I drink more than two liters of water my muscles cramp up (maybe an electrolyte issue?).  I try not to eat fatty foods if there is a cost effective replacement.  For an example, today is Sunday, "splurge day."  I will broil or bake a lovely chicken breast and steam a pot full of beautiful broccoli for dinner tonight.  Yum!  See, splurging in my household means eating GOOD food and not being stuck eating high fat, ground beef by the chub, processed meats or a ton of cheap starches


Answer 6:  Well, for FAST weight loss, exercise I strongly advice, but if you are looking to loose weight at a slow pace, just start eating better. Just think about what you are about to eat before you eat it. For example..Breakfast, instead of a big hot breakfast of pancakes and sausage and what not, just think to yourself, "Should I eat this, or should I be eating something else?" Like instead of that bad breakfast of sausage, pancakes and eggs. Have a bowl of regular Cherrios with NO sugar and 1% milk. Lunch, instead of a cheeseburger, have a turkey sandwich with nothing on it, but lettuce and olives or onions. NO MAYO OR MUSTARD! Just a plain turkey sandwich. Forget ham, ham is bad for you. And if you eat the school's lunch start bringing lunch from home.
Just REALLY start thinking about what you eat and in a few months you will be 15-20 pounds lighter. Wouldn't that be nice.
If you really wanna loose that weight fast, run for about 20-30 minutes a day and eat right. Then you should lose about 1 or 2 pounds a weak, Good luck!

Source(s):

Myself. I am 5"5' and I used to weigh 165lbs. and from doing what I just told you, in just 3 months I am now 140! So just keep at it and you will loose the weight! Good luck!


My response:  Oh, this answer is just too much...well intentioned, I'm sure, but very funny.  Like every Super Fatty eats a big, hot breakfast of pancakes, sausage, and eggs each day.  I don't like pancakes and I eat eggs about once every other month.  Actually, I probably should eat more eggs because they are a good source of cheap protein.  No, I usually get stuck with a bowl of pasta for breakfast.  I love cottage cheese when I can afford it.  I'm allergic to most fruits AND the ones I don't have a reaction to are quite expensive.  I don't often eat cereal because most cheap cereal has a ton of sugar.  I'm not big on sugar.  Sugar just makes me hungrier.  Lunch, huh?  Well, a turkey sandwich is already my main staple.  I don't know why this person thinks ham is so bad.  Lean ham is okay.  I just find ham to be a little saltier and lean ham is usually a bit more expensive than turkey.  I find it funny how this person said, "Run for 20-30 minutes a day...then you should lose about 1 or 2 pounds a week."  Sweetheart, I have news for you, if my 450 lb body could run ONE minute each day, I'd lose 1 or 2 pounds a DAY!  Alas, most of us older, short, super hippos don't have that ability...at least for now.   


Answer 7:  First, I would recommend beginning to eat healthier. Try to substitue soda for orange juice or Crytal Lite. Then gradually move to water.
Then try to do some simple exercises. Do 5-20 jumping jacks a day. Then do ab twists. Just twist your body from one side to anpther 20 times. Then come up with your own exercises. Dont forget to eat healthy.! You can do it!

My response:  Again with the soda.  Jumping jacks?  Hon, if my body could even handle doing 5-20 jumping jacks, the people in my neighboring apartments would think we were having an earthquake (I live in California).  Anyway, my boobs are so big and hang so low I'm sure I'd give myself a black eye from doing jumping jacks.  To be serious here, in my current condition there is no way I could safely do a jumping jack.  


Answer 8:  my hubby lost 27 pounds in a month JUST MY CUTTING OUR MOUNTAIN DEW!!! then i made him sandwiches for lunches with zero calorie drinks and he lost another 10 pounds...with NO EXCERCISE WHAT SO EVER!! he will start to work out this winter. but he lost about 40 lbs from changing his eating habits.....i have talke dot many professionals about dieting and ecxercise...so im opposite of you...id rather workout and eat whatever i want..lol...but the sad news for me and the good news for you is that weight is 60 % from the food you eat and the rest is excercise and sleep......crazy, and true!!!


My response:  Soda, again!  Okay, for those of you Super Fatties who drink sugary sodas, PLEASE stop drinking them in public so all those NON-HIPPOS will stop thinking that's why ALL of us are so damn fat!  Anyway, it really is common sense that eliminating sugary drinks from your diet is a good thing.  It's at least a fantastic start for those of you who DO drink sugary drinks, hippo or not.


Okay, so now that I've put in my two cents, I'd really love to get YOUR feedback.  Please, please, please post something.  Oh, and I've been trying to figure out how to post pictures here but, like I said before, I'm quite tech illiterate.  If anyone has any suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it. 
Update:  I think I finally figured out how to post pictures etc.  Yipee! 

4 comments:

  1. Well intentioned answers but very assumptuous. (is that even a word). You are right. Just because I'm big doesn't mean I eat horribly. BUT on the flip side...I didn't GET big by eating watermelon and grapes with a side of celery. Before I started my weight loss journey much of that advice would have been perfect for me. NOW that I'm living a healthier lifestyle (but still a plus sized girl) the advice and assumptions hurt becuase I'm DOING the right stuff but still trapped in this body.

    Ok, that was a rambling answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All rambling answers are welcomed here! I like to rant and ramble too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. MaryFran,

    You've just replaced one set of assumptions by another: that we all got fat by eating too much. There are lots of fat people out there who have always been at very least plump. That's just the way we are. For every sequoia, there are little bushes. For every greyhound there's a dachshund. Humanity actually does come in all shapes and sizes.

    I was brought up in a home where sweets and pop were extremely rare treats. Dessert was fruit. I never even knew about mayo til I left home. We only ate whole wheat bread. Marshmallow Jif? Saw it on TV, never crossed our door. And I was nevertheless the short, fattish kid who was always chosen last for sports teams. I tried every crazy diet from the time I was 15 til now and all I've learned was that dieting makes you fatter. I consider myself lucky to have maintained a reasonable weight despite it all.

    So let's watch those stereotypes. Many fatties hate and blame themselves as much as the rest of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Do you have a DVD player? I would gladly mail you a Leslie Sansone video if you want one! =)

    This was crazy--but people have to walk in other's shoes to get that.

    ReplyDelete